The Clover Mill (formerly Archer’s Mill and Beanhouse mill) is on a site that is thought to be mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086. The house and the old clover mill date from the 17th century with the addition of a large corn mill in the 19th century that was a working mill up until the mid-1970s. The philosophy of renovation was to ensure that this could once again be a working mill, if future custodians desired.
When the current owner bought the mill in 2009, the roof was in bad repair, floors were in a dangerous state due to inhabitation by birds and bats, many of the cast iron windows frames were broken and required welding and the whole building required re-pointing, inside and out.
The Clover Mill opened its doors as a spa and yoga retreat in Spring 2013 after an extensive restoration programme sensitively carried out in order to combine respect for the historical and industrial heritage with contemporary luxury and facilities.
A substantial bat mitigation programme ensured the eight species of bats surveyed at the mill have a purpose built large bat roost in the old barn and new garage roof spaces.
We now open to the public every May as part of the national Open Mills Weekend.